Crying is natural among babies, but if your child cry for a very long period without a particular reason, then you should think that he or she is suffering from colic.
The cause for colic in babies is still unclear; however, there is an assumption that if their mothers smoke or drink alcohol during pregnancy, then the babies will face a higher possibility of colic.
Because the infants are very weak during the first months, long crying caused by colic may make them exhausted and their immune system will be weakened. This will enable many diseases to attack their vulnerable body. Therefore, it is necessary to help them get rid of colic immediately.
Here are top 5 ways to help your babies get rid of colic quickly and naturally.
1. Warm Bath
This is one of the simplest home remedies for colic that anyone can apply at home. Only a bathtub of warm water can help to improve the condition of the baby. With soothing quality, warm bath will make it easier for the baby to fall into sleep and be distracted from crying.
You can use some natural essential oils, such as lavender oil, in order to maximize the benefits. Warm bath is also beneficial if your child suffer from coughing.
2. Fennel Seeds
Like basil, fennel is one of the best home remedies for colic, as it can promote the elimination of gas from the babies’ body. Even the mothers can make use of fennel seeds to improve their health and their child’s through breastfeeding.
- Crush some fennel seeds.
- Put them into a glass of boiling water.
- They should be covered and steeped in 10-15 minutes and strained.
- The baby should drink half a spoon of this mixture 2-3 times per day, while the mother can use 2-3 spoons of it.
3. Chamomile Tea
In 2007, the American Academy of Pediatrics announced that colic in babies can be treated effectively with the help of chamomile tea. The antispasmodic and sedative qualities of chamomile tea can ease the cramping.
- Take some dried chamomile flowers and put them into hot water.
- They should be covered, steeped in 10 minutes, and strained.
- When the mixture is cool, allow your baby to consume it.
However, each time you should let him or her consume more or less than one spoon. The excessive intake of chamomile tea may do harm.
4. Burp Baby
A simple colic relief is to burp the babies. This will stop the pain the babies have to suffer from very effectively, as it helps to remove the air accumulated in the stomach.
- After you feed your child, keep him or her against your shoulder.
- His or her neck and head should be supported properly.
- Next, use your hands to rub his or her back and tummy.
- After you notice the sound of burping, keep the baby lay down.
Preventing the accumulation of gas inside the baby’s body, asafetida makes its way to become one of the best home remedies for colic in babies. In addition, it can improve the digestive system of children. You can use asafetida in the form of powder.
- Mix asafetida powder with water.
- Put them over the heat for several minutes and leave it until it is cool.
- When the mixture is cool enough, apply it over the areas around the baby’s navel.
You may be also interested in Home Remedies for Oral Thrush.