What is An Abscessed Tooth?
To explain in simple words, a tooth abscess is the infection in the center of a tooth or the area where the tooth gets contact with the gum. This condition is caused by bacteria, leading to a pocket of pus inside your teeth.
If tooth abscess is left without proper treatments in a long time, it will possibly become the cause of other severe problems or oven fatal death.
What Causes An Abscess Tooth?
As mentioned, a tooth abscess is a consequence of bacterial infection. However, it is not easy for bacteria to attack your tooth unless it gets a chip, decay or crack. In this case, bacteria can easily penetrate and infect the pulp of the teeth then spread to the bones that support the tooth.
Because of the infection, you likely experience toothache, which only stops when the pulp dies or an abscess appears. Otherwise, the infection will keep spreading and affect other tissues.
Abscessed Tooth Symptoms
When you get an abscessed tooth, you are likely to experience these following common symptoms, including:
- Breath odor
- Sick and fever
- Pain when chewing foods
- Swelling gum
- Swollen glands in the neck
Fortunately, before everything gets worse that you need a doctor to examine, help yourself alleviate and prevent the development of the condition by using natural ingredients at home.
Here are top 10 useful home remedies for abscessed tooth that you should follow to minimize the impacts of bacteria in your mouth…
Garlic contains natural anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, which makes it a perfect candidate for home remedies for abscessed tooth. By using garlic, you can ease the painful feeling and inhibit the bacterial activities inside the tooth .
- Get some garlic cloves and crush them into juice then use it to directly apply to the affected tooth.
- Another option for you is simply chewing some raw garlic cloves.
- If you can handle the taste and smell of garlic juice, dilute it with some water. Use the solution to rinse your mouth for a few times a day.
You will be surprised by the power of garlic, which can also help us treat other diseases such as high cortisol. For more information, please take a look at How To Get Rid Of High Cortisol.
2. Oil Pulling
Oil pulling has shown its effectiveness in various treatments for dental problems, including abscessed tooth. With the antibacterial properties, the oil will instantly fight back the bacteria when it comes into your mouth. As a result, the pain will soon reduce and the infection will be also inhibited .
To take advantage of oil pulling to make an abscessed tooth treatment:
- Use extra-virgin coconut oil to swish your mouth.
- Keep it in there for 15 minutes.
- Finally, spit it out and rinse off with water.
Another ingredient that can gain a spot in the list of abscessed tooth home remedies is turmeric. This spice is found with several valuable qualities such as antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties, which can easily get rid of bacteria and other harmful factors causing the condition .
- Mix turmeric powder with a little water to make a fine paste.
- Apply the paste to your affected tooth after brushing.
- Leave it there for some minutes then rinse off with water.
Besides, turmeric also makes a perfect treatment for many other diseases, including home remedies on how to get rid of scabies.
4. Tea Bag
After making tea, do not waste your tea bag by throwing it to a trash bin since tea bag is one of your perfect choices for abscessed tooth treatments. Specifically, the tannin in tea is able to alleviate the infection as well as the pain. Besides, it also helps refrain the development of bacteria in your mouth .
- Dip a black tea bag in a cup of hot water.
- Cover and let it steep for some minutes
- Remove the bag and let it cool down.
- Apply the tea bag on your affected tooth and leave it for a couple of hours.
- Finally remove and rinse off your mouth with water.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar must be so familiar to people as an ingredient in the kitchen. Besides, it is also widely used in various treatments for health as well as beauty problems. In case of home remedies for abscessed tooth, the vinegar works actively to eliminate the bacteria and reduce the toothache .
- Simple use apple cider vinegar to swish your mouth.
- Keep it in your mouth for 5-10 minutes.
- Spit it out and rinse off your mouth with water.
6. Salt Water
Salt with its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial properties can give you a quick relief from abscessed tooth symptoms. Moreover, salt is able to suppress the spreading of bacteria. This is why salt should be on our list of home remedies for abscessed tooth .
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt into a cup of warm water.
- Stir well so that the salt is dissolved completely.
- Rinse your mouth with the solution.
- Do this several times a day to quickly reduce swelling and other symptoms.
7. Baking Soda
If you are wondering how to treat an abscessed tooth, do not hesitate to try baking soda. This ingredient is excellent in reducing inflammation, infection and inhibiting the bacteria’s development without causing any side effects .
- Mix baking soda and salt in the same ratio.
- Use a cotton swab to dip into the mixture and apply to your abscessed tooth.
- Hold it for a couple of hours before removing and washing off.
By applying baking soda, you are also able to remove plaque. For more information, please take a look at Home Remedies For Teeth Plaque.
Despite the small, simple appearance, clove can make you surprised with its excellent qualities, including antiseptic, antifungal, antibacterial and analgestic properties. That’s why you cannot skip this ingredient on the list of home remedies for abscessed tooth.
- Use a cotton swab or clean cloth and dip it into the oil. Apply it to the affected tooth and keep it for a few minutes. Finally remove and rinse off your mouth.
- Alternatively, chew some cloves to get the juice and leave it in your mouth for some minutes before rinsing off.
9. Cold Compress
Whenever you feel the pain of toothache gets into your nerve, try applying some ice to temporarily reduce it and other abscessed tooth symptoms .
- Wrap some ice cubes into a clean cloth.
- Use the ice bag to apply to the outside of the mouth and near the affected tooth.
- Keep it there fore some minutes until you get a relief from the annoyance.
- Do this several times a day or whenever you find it needed.
There must be a reason for why peppermint is often used as an inevitable ingredient in many oral products such as toothpaste, mouthwash, chewing gum, etc. According to various studies, peppermint is rich in nutrients and other substances that contain anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, which are extremely beneficial for cleansing and protecting dental health. Accordingly, you should never miss this herb in home remedies for abscessed tooth .
- Extract the juice from some fresh peppermint leaves. Apply the juice to the affected tooth. Leave it for some minutes then rinse off your mouth with water.
- Alternatively, use your finger or a clean cotton swab to apply directly peppermint oil to the affected area. After a few minutes of waiting, rinsing the area with water.